As a Social Enterprise, Sturts Community Trust - based at Sturts Farm, near West Moors, is a non-profit making charity whose beneficiaries are adults with learning disabilities, as well as the local community.
Sturts Community Trust provides opportunities to experience working activities on a working farm, in a supportive environment. Such work provides opportunities for individuals to experience meaningful activity in an equal context, as everyone has a part to play. Whether this is working with animals or in our market garden or The Foodstore, we offer vocational opportunities alongside personal development.
By contributing to the local community in a meaningful way, whether this is through our Foodstore or local allotment scheme, we also encourage ethical and sustainable practices. We are committed to making a positive difference in several ways:
- To provide opportunities and enhance choice for adults with learning disabilities;
- To provide goods and services that promotes Sturts Community Trust as a resource within the local community;
- To represent ethical and sustainable practices that add to social value;
- To generate an income to be reinvested to further Social Enterprise;
- To maximise personal potential through meaningful activities.
Our Social Enterprise promotes Sturts Community Trust as a resource within our local community, and the activities available include:
- day opportunities for adults with learning disabilities
- social farming activities based on our biodynamic farm and market garden
- our weekly market stall at the Lantern Community near Ringwood
- the new farm shop initiative in West Moors - Gullivers Foodstore
- the food workshop on the farm - Foodstore
- the Creamery - processing dairy products on the farm
- the Art Studio - creative workshop
- our developing initiative to offer allotment spaces for local people on our farm